Sunday 10 February 2013

Day 3: Duke Ellington - Ellington At Newport 1956 (1956)


This was the first jazz album I've ever listened to and I gotta say I loved it. Duke's songs were rousing, grand and fantastic. This is a live album from Duke's performance at the 1956 Newport Jazz Festival and from the cheers, whistles and yelling of the crowd it's clear they loved it as much as I did. When the LP was released in '56 it wasn't actually the full concert, but 5 studio re-recordings complete with canned applause and clocked in at a total of 45 minutes. The performance was remastered and re-released on CD in 1999 in its complete 2 hour format and it's this version that I listened to because when I listen to a live album I want it to actually be live and i'm a completest :). I give this great jazz album 5/5.

Tracks I enjoyed the most: Festival Junction, Newport Up, Jeep's Blues & Day In, Day Out

No comments:

Post a Comment