Thursday 28 February 2013

Day 14 - Miriam Makeba - Miriam Makeba (1960)


I've had this album on my computer for a while now but I only just heard it today. Wow, i've been missing out! Miriam has one of the loveliest voices i've ever heard, she sounds so angelic. I loved the African songs, they were fun and made me wanna dance. "The Click Song" is especially interesting because, as she explains before she starts singing, the real title can't be pronounced by non-Africans because we can't make the 'click' sound in our throats. "One More Dance" is also interesting because the story is about a woman who doesn't care her old husband is sick and dying as she just wants to keep dancing with her friends and when a man, who keeps laughing more and more as the song goes on, tells her the will is being announced she finally stops dancing to get her money. Miriam is completely straight-faced in this song and I respect that because I know if a man was laughing louder and louder as I sang i'd crack up and laugh too. 5/5.

Tracks I enjoyed the most: Suliram, The Click Song, House Of The Rising Sun, One More Dance & Where Does It Lead?

No comments:

Post a Comment