Monday 25 February 2013

Day 11 - Ella Fitzgerald - Sings The Gershwin Songbook (1959)


This album was so huge I had to listen to it over several days. "Ella Fitzgerald Sings The George and Ira Gershwin Song Book" is 4 discs and 4 hours long. I only listened to the first 3 discs as the 4th disc is just mono versions of the same songs and alternate takes. Despite the length I loved this album. I've always loved Lady Ella. Her voice was lovely and mellow, she interpreted classics better than any jazz singer i've heard and she could scat amazingly. The Gershwins were amazing composers and lyricists as well. Every song on this album was a triumph. 5/5.

Tracks I enjoyed the most: But Not For Me, (I've Got) Beginner's Luck, The Man I Love, A Foggy Day, Strike Up The Band, Aren't You Kind Of Glad We Did, They Can't Take That Away From Me, Embraceable You, Boy! What Love Has Done To Me & Treat Me Rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment